Saturday, February 04, 2006

Uppers/Downers

Most disappointing hiphop album that got madly overhyped in '05: DangerDoom - the mouse & the mask

Most impressive album that got no hype in '05: Atmosphere - you can't imagine how much fun we're having

I finally got around to buying DangerDoom like the day before I left to go to Germany for 2 months, and I didn't really get to listen to it before I took off. Got in yesterday night, threw it up on the turntable this morning and was highly not impressed. I can't say that it is bad, but it just is not what I would come to expect from a producer and an MC who are (supposedly) at the top of their respective games. Sorry guys. Dangermouses best works are still DM & Jemini - Ghetto Pop Life (www.lexrecords.com, import only & mad $$) and "The Grey Album" (download only, you didn't hear it from me), which has also been so madly overhyped by now that I actually saw it mentioned in yesterday's Guardian G2 insert complete with a photo that is supposed to be Jay-Z, but clearly is not, and some half-baked idea about how Grey was produced. Note to Guardian editors and clueless pop writer - if you're going to expound on a hiphop related matter in a non-hiphop piece, please at least research your shit and get it correct. And while I'm at it, I know Dangermouse did some dope shit on "Grey Album", so I don't need people stepping to tell me how hype it is when they just found out about that shit last week; it's been around for years kid. Doom's pinnacle is under his alias Viktor Vaughn on "Vaudeville Villain" (SoundInk Records). I got lucky and found a fresh copy on vinyl in a small-ass shop in some hick town in the Catskills on a chance and have never even seen it anywhere else, so have fun with finding that.

I never read shit about Atmosphere's new release, even while DangerDoom and Mmmm..Food (also disappointing) were still getting props after like 4 months in ExClaim, but again, got lucky at Vertigo records in Ottawa one day. I listened to this a lot in Germany and am still digging. "You can't imagine..." is available in Canada now on Rhymesayers, also home to the Boom Bap Project; fully worth checking out also. While you're at it you can dig out some of the back catalogue too and it does not disappoint. Without getting all sentimental and shit, this is some of the most intelligent and observant hiphop I've heard in a long time, and the production is mad tight. Normally intelligent lyrics are accompanied by wack beats (except for Common's work), but not here. And just when you think shit is getting too heavy, you get some frivolous rap to break it up. Still haven't heard any played at a local hiphop night, but I'll probably be waiting for a while. Props to Algonquin College radio CKDJ for breaking this way back in the summer while all the local club DJs were playing Sleeping Beauty.

Next time- why Kanye deserves to get hit by a car (again)

GR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home